Bright Stars

Bright stars shine over the world as it sleeps.
Shepherds watch over their little white sheep.
The lighthouse is shining for ships out at sea,
And God keeps the night watch for you and for me.

So sleep, sleep in peace and rest,
Don't be afraid of the darkness.
All's well for over the land and the sea,
God's keeping the night watch for you and for me.

So sleep, sleep in peace and rest,
Don't be afraid of the darkness,
All's well for over the land and the sea,
God's keeping the night watch for you and for me.


Jim Reeves The Night Watch

Background
Jonathan and a group of his family friends taught me this song the first year I joined them on their annual week-long camp-out in August on a small island in a lake in Northern Maine. They sang it every night at the close of our evening worship as the last song before parting ways for bed. I quickly fell asleep and knew that this would be my children's night time/lullabye song. We sing this as Lauren's night time lullabye every evening just before putting her down to sleep and I hope it becomes a special song to her someday as it is to Jonathan and me.

Note: This song is actually titled "The Night Watch" by Jim Reeves, and the actual lyrics are slightly different than the version that Jonathan and his friends know. I prefer their version, so that's the one I typed up, but the original lyrics can be found here.